If you've ever video called with your parents, you know it's one of the best ways to stay in touch. It's even more fun when you get your family on the couch and video call on TV. If you have Chromecast (either the old or new version) and an Android smartphone (version 4.4.2 or higher), there's an easy way for you to video call on the big-screen. Just follow these steps:
1. Connect your Android phone and your Chromecast to the same Wi-Fi network.
2. On your phone, launch the Chromecast app.
3. Tap the navigation drawer located in the top left corner.
4. Tap the Cast Screen button and select your Chromecast. Your TV should now show exactly what your phone shows.
5. Launch any video calling app on your phone (such as Skype or Hangouts) and start a video call.
You're ready to video call on TV, but you'll want to position your phone just above your TV and point it at you. That way, you'll have a good camera angle and eye contact with your caller. It's no coincidence that webcams are all placed above monitors. A lower placement results in unflattering camera angles from below your chin that prevent a natural conversation.
If you don't have a ledge just above your TV, use TellyMount. It's a premium smartphone holder that easily attaches to virtually any TV. TellyMount can rotate and tilt your phone in any direction to make sure everyone on the couch gets in-frame on the video call.